The benefits of applying yogurt to your hair and scalp haven’t been proven in clinical research. However, anecdotal evidence and cultural traditions support its use in this manner.
One of the most popular direct applications is the hair mask, also called a deep conditioner.
Proponents of yogurt-based hair masks suggest that the protein in yogurt promotes strong and healthy hair. They also believe that the lactic acid in yogurt:
- cleanses the scalp
- clears away dead skin cells
- helps hair follicle growth
People use yogurt hair masks to address hair damage caused by:
- the environment, such as from the sun, air pollution, and changes of season
- styling tools, such as hairbrushes, straightening irons, and blow-dryers
- hair products, such as those used for styling, coloring, straightening, and curling
Yogurt hair mask options to try
For dull hair: Yogurt, Egg, Olive Oil Hair Mask
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons yogurt
For damaged hair: Avocado and yogurt mask
1 cup natural yogurt
1/2 of an avocado
3 teaspoons of honey
1 squeeze of lemon
For dandruff or itchy scalp: Yogurt and honey mask
½ cup of Greek Yoghurt
¼ cup of Thyme Honey
2 tablespoons of Pure Greek Olive Oil
HOMEMADE AVOCADO BANANA HAIR MASK:
- Avocado – known for its ability to moisturize hair, add shine and body.
- Bananas – repair damage and soothe hair.
- Eggs – add essential protein to strengthen hair.
- Olive oil – conditions and shines.
- Apple cider vinegar – strips residue, leaving hair light and clean.
Yogurt is known for its smoothening properties. You can team with other ingredients like bananas to make a hair smoothening pack or mask. Mix a couple of bananas with two tablespoons of olive oil, honey and yogurt. Mix well and let it sit in the refrigerator - apply, leave for 40 minutes, rinse and shampoo. Applying a yogurt hair mask
- Start with dry hair.
- Apply the yogurt mask to the roots of your hairand work it in along the length of your hair.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes. Some suggest covering your hair with a shower cap.
- Rinse out the mask with warm water.