Violentt Beane - The Flash One to Watch
Violentt Beane - The Flash One to Watch
Photographer : Jen Rachid
Interview by @Rhonda_McKnight @ouchmagazineny
1. How did you land this part on the Flash? Can you explain your role?
I sent in a self-tape, and it was actually a pretty fast process compared to what it usually can be. I found out within a week and had to run out and get my passport updated (oops!). I play Jesse "Quick" Wells, the daughter of Earth-2 Harrison Wells. Eventually she will get super-speed like the Flash and become a hero... or villain! ;) I like playing her because she's young but sassy and incredibly smart.
2. Are you a superheroes fan? Who's your inner super hero ?
I like superheroes as much as the next person, I think more so now that I'm on that kind of show. My personal hero is definitely my mom. She raised me and my brother as a single parent working as a school teacher, and I have mad respect for all she's done for us.
3. What's the best thing about being an actor? Definitely being able to be someone you're not! You get to explore different aspects of what make certain people tick, and hopefully tell a compelling story through them.
4. Do you ever still get nervous reading on a set? If there's a line that I don't feel motivated to say, then sometimes it can make me a little shaky, but it's really important to feel comfortable with the other actors you work with, because once you trust each other, you can go places with the scene that you weren't expecting!
5. What the best way to follow your dream that you have learned so far? Don't take no for an answer, or at least don't let it hold you down. If your dreams are big (which I hope they are) then there will always be rejection... it comes with the territory. But as soon as you accept that "no" as your reality, is the moment you've shorted yourself and there's no way you're gonna reach that dream!
6. What do you think about social media nude pictures becoming the way to grow followers? I understand this movement of empowerment towards women (#freethenipple, etc.) and I do support it to an extent. I think posing artistically while being nude can make you feel like a strong woman, and if men can do it, then why can't we? But if your reasoning for taking those photos is to get other people's attention-- using your body that way-- then I would say you deserve better! Show the world your real talents. You're more than just your body!
7. Do you like social media ? If so whats your favorite ? I think social media is an extremely important way to connect with fans and it's fun to share what you're doing with people. I personally don't take it super seriously. I post ridiculous photos of myself, because why not?! I have loved Instagram forever, so I would say that, but I've also started really liking Twitter because you can post as much or as little as you want.
8. What project would blow your mind if you were offered it tomorrow? I read a dystopian series when I was in early high school titled Gone. It's sort of Hunger Games-y, but it really spoke to me, and I've always said to myself, "One day I will be in this movie." Turns out a television series of it is in the works. Their pretty far out in terms of casting, but little me would melt if I booked that!
9. How do you stay grounded? It is really hard traveling so much and meeting so many new people, but I can always relax when I talk with my friends and family back home or take a walk on the shore.
10. Where do you call home? I love love love Austin, Texas. I moved there when I was ten and have lived there since. I know I'll probably have to move away a few times for filming, but I will always call Austin a home. I hope to have a little house there one day, so even if I'm filming somewhere crazy I can always come back there.
11. Whats your least favorite thing about traveling? AIRPORTS!!!!! Ugh, they're awful. A ton of people, over-priced everything, and usually really warm (maybe because of the people). They're aren't any direct flights from Austin to Vancouver (where I'm filming now) so travel days are a whole event!
12. How do you choose good friends? Someone I can laugh with, learn from, teach, eat with, and act ridiculously around! 13. What projects should we watch out for this year?
A documentary I was the lead in just won Best Documentary by Jury and Audience at SXSW this year. Tower will be going on to multiple film festivals this summer so keep an eye out! Also I have a music video coming out that I directed, edited, and starred in for the band Eyelid Kid. That will be releasing end of May!
14. How can fans reach out and connect? You can follow me on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook at @violettbeane. I also have a website I designed where you can find photos, demos, and interviews! www.violettbeane.com Thanks so much for the interview!!