Trend Predictions Put to the Test at Winter Fancy Food Show
rend Predictions Put to the Test at Winter Fancy Food Show
by Specialty Food Association Trendspotter Panel
LinkedIn: Specialty Food Industry Group
- Plant-based Foods. Plant-based foods cut across many categories and algae, which was predicted to take off in 2018, continued to appear.
- Fora Faba Butter, made with aquafaba
- K’ul Chocolate Superfood Bar, 70 percent dark chocolate, 8 grams of algae protein
- New Wave Foods, algae, and plant-based shrimp
- Roland Foods Quinoa Spreads, blend of quinoa, and plant-based ingredients
- Tru Flavors Salad Dressing, a single-serve, shelf-stable, bean-based dressing
- Unisoy Vegan Jerky
- Wellnut Farms Walnut Butters, made of 100 percent walnuts
- Functional Mushrooms. Originally on the 2018 emerging trend list, mushrooms are taking off as both a snack and a functional ingredient.
- Four Sigmatic Mushroom Elixers, powdered-drink–packets that dissolve in hot water
- Pan’s Mushroom Jerky, shiitake mushrooms with a meaty texture
- Yuguo Farms Mushroom Chips, whole, sustainably grown shiitake mushrooms
- Alternative Sweeteners. Consumer interest in reducing refined white sugar has led to alternatives.
- Droga Chocolates Money on Honey Caramels, sweetened with True Source-verified honey
- Elements Truffles, chocolate bars that are raw, organic, dairy-free, and sweetened with honey
- Just Date Syrup, made from organic Medjool dates
- The Republic of Tea Organic Apple Cider Vinegar Sips, sweetened with monk fruit
- Salviana Raw Maguey Sap, raw prebiotic-rich syrup made from Maguey Pulquero
- Sejoyia Coco-Thins, gluten-free cookies sweetened with organic coconut sugar
- Soozy's Muffins, Paleo certified and sweetened with organic coconut sugar
- Deeper Middle Eastern Flavors. Prominent flavors and ingredients broadened to include Central and South Asia, and North Africa.
- Casablanca Market Moroccan Harissa, Preserved Lemons, and Purple Olives
- FoodMatch Marinated Artichokes with Harissa
- Rumi Spice Afghan Curry Braise cooking sauce, with sustainably farmed saffron from Afghanistan
- Snackgold cHarissa Gourmet Potato Crisps, partnership between Spanish gourmet potato chip makers and cHarissa spice company
- Collagen-Infused Foods. First appearing in snack bars, it is now showing up in beverages.
- HealthVerve BBGLO Skin Rejuvenation Collagen Drink
- SkinTe sparkling tea beverage with collagen, under development by students at Oregon’s University of Portland
- Moringa. A plant native to India, it is being touted as a new superfood.
- Miracle Tea Moringa Superfood Energy Infusion Tea
- Stash Tea Organic Moringa Mint Herbal Tea
- Black Rice. Used as an ingredient in solid and liquid form. The pigments that give the rice its color are rich in antioxidants and other health benefits.
- Suzie's Table Black Rice Non-Dairy Beverage
- Theo's Black Rice Quinoa Crunch Dark Chocolate Bar
- Snack Puffs. Nut and vegetable updates to the classic cheese puffs.
- Puffworks Peanut Butter Puffs
- Suzie's 2 Pease and a Bean, pea-protein–based puffed snack
- Vegan Rob's Brussels Sprout Puffs, Probiotic Cauliflower Puffs, and Beet Puffs
- Specialty Waters. The category is expected to grow 111.5 percent by 2021, according to Mintel category forecasting research for SFA.
- Herb & Lou's Infused Ice Cubes, flavored water containers that consumers freeze and mix with spirits
- Kona Deep Water Purified Ocean Water from the waters of Hawaii, containing naturally occurring deep ocean electrolytes
- Water Joe Caffeinated Water, infused with 85 milligrams of caffeine, no sugar, zero calories
- Turmeric. Native to Southeast Asia and India, it is being used as an ingredient in more categories, especially snacks.
- David Rio Turmeric Golden Latte
- Jade Spice Vegan Turmeric Salt
- Lotus Pops Roasted Lotus Seeds, in turmeric flavor
- Oskri's 3 Egg White Protein Bar, in turmeric flavor
- Theo Chocolate Clusters, made with turmeric, hemp, chia flour and sorghum
- Theo's Turmeric Ginger Dark Milk Chocolate Bar
- Wai Lona Turmeric Cheese Cassava Chips
- Zotter Chocolate's Vegan White Rice & Turmeric Disc, a white chocolate treat of vegetal origin